Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Toy companies = evil geniuses

The other day, the kids got a couple of letters in the mail. They were from a certain company that has built a vast empire out of birthing stuffed bears and then selling lots of expensive clothes and accessories to go home with said bear.
I have no problem with this company in general. I do, however, have a problem with the message on their sales flyer.
"You deserve more stuff," Jake said as he read over his mail in the back seat.
"What?!" I asked.
"That's what this says.'"
I looked for myself, and sure enough, there it was in big red letters (in a jolly-bear-type font): "You Deserve More Stuff!"
Wow. Everything that is wrong with society is summed up in those four words. Way to set kids up for always wanting more, more, more -- and even worse, making them think they deserve it. Why do they deserve more stuff? That's what I'm going to ask the customer-service rep when I call later today. "I see that you sent a letter to my kids telling them they deserve more stuff. How do you know this? Have you been monitoring their behavior on a daily basis? And how much more stuff do they deserve? Oh, and one more thing: WHO ARE YOU TO BE SENDING NOT-SO-SUBLIMINAL MATERIALISTIC MESSAGES TO MY INNOCENT GRADESCHOOLERS?"
OK, so maybe I won't say all of that. But I should. They "deserve" it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on!!!

Anonymous said...

I kind of like the jingle, "You deserve a break today...." because I really do. However, I agree totally that the toy company's letter was inappropriate and the wrong message to be sending to kids. Cheryl of Redmond