Friday, January 26, 2007

The reason all women feel guilty today


Finish this sentence: "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, _______________.
Everybody sing: "...and never ever let you forget you're a man, 'cause I'm a woooman, Enjoli!"
Oprah mentioned this classic '80s commercial on her show this week, and the entire audience belted it out. So how did this ad become so ingrained in our very beings? Why can I barely remember my kids' first words, but can report back every nuance of this dorky, demeaning commercial?
I blame subliminal messages. Perhaps the Enjoli corporation was part of an evil conspiracy to make all women feel bad about themselves. It's working; every time I find myself not juggling my womanly jobs as well as I should, I think of the perfumed vixen who has it all.
I much prefer the "Calgon, Take Me Away!" lady myself.

No comments: