Saturday, January 20, 2007

Welcome to my World!! (Wide Web!)

Hello, friends!
Thank you for stopping by my newfangled blog. I'll be posting links to all of my columns here, along with random thoughts and pictures of the family. Hopefully (crossing fingers), it will be updated every few days, but it will definitely have new content on Sundays. This way, my dear pals/readers from the KCJ will not have to change their reading routines. :)
OK, enough with the formalities; I feel like I'm a professor on the first day of class.
Random thought from my day: Jake had a basketball game this morning, and the other team "did not have sportsmanship," and Jake put it. At the end of every game, they walk in a line past the other team and sort of slap hands while saying, "Good game, good game, good game." You know the drill.
As Jake got halfway down the line, he said, "Ow!" and held onto his arm. He showed it to me later: One of the kids had slapped his forearm (not his hand as is customary) so hard that it left a definite print. Our coach's wife saw it and marched over to the other coach to complain. But Jake didn't know which player did it, so there wasn't much to be done. The culprit escaped unscathed.
The good news is that Jake scored two of our whopping 4 points today. The other team's score was somewhere in the triple digits, so slapping our teammates around afterward seems like overkill.
I really have no point to this story. Just thought I'd share. Aren't you glad my columns are a bit more thought-out? (For the most part?) :)
Keep in touch! Post some comments! Enjoy the pastel dots!
Cheers,
Darla

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, the honor of having the first comment!!

I just read your final column (having been a regular reader since you lived here in the Northwest) and immediately came to subscribe to your blog.

Thanks!!!

Darla said...

Thank you, Marie! I wish I had an award to give you for being the blog's first-ever commenter, but at least you know you are now the answer to a trivia question in this tiny corner of the 'Net. :) Keep in touch!

Lorna Hinton said...

Hi Darla I will miss your column a lot, so this is the next best thing. Thanks a lot for sharing your life with me, I feel as if I know you so well!

Darla said...

Thank you, Lorna! I'll miss the KCJ column, too, but I guess nothing lasts forever -- especially not newspapers in this high-tech day and age. I officially both love and hate the Internet. :) Thanks again for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

My husband worried about the sports section and I worried about you when we heard the paper was closing - I'm glad to have the blog! Your kids aren't as "blond" as I had imagined them. Who knows where that came from in my head!

Erin said...

Hi Darla,

I feel like we have become good friends since I had been reading your column forever. I live and work in Redmond, WA and was so glad to be able to keep up with your doings even when you moved away. Do you ever miss the Pacific NW anymore or do you feel more "Texan" now?

Looking forward to continuing "to keeping up with the Atlases"! ( Hey I was just remembering, I went to school locally with a Roger Atlas, Any relation?)

Take Care, Have fun with your blog!

Erin

Anonymous said...

This is my first time ever to view a blog site. I'm not much on email at home since I have to use it at work all day for business but you are worth it!! I wanted to check this out because I'm having KCJ withdrawal. I'm SO happy you decided to do this. For some reason the pictures aren't clear so I'll have to see them at work but I can tell this will definately make me feel better! Thanks Darla. You always go the extra mile.

Darla said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit this site, you guys. I'm very flattered. :)
Jodine, I'm sorry to hear the pictures are blurry! If anyone else has that problem, please let me know. I have no clue about this blogging stuff. I'm winging it. I'm just blogging with abandon. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making me smile for many years. I was shocked when I saw your kids pictures (cute by the way) because in my mind there were at most 4 or 5. I remember the article when you found out about your 2nd pregnancy. Very excited to get this blog address, my first blog visit ever. It will be good to "keep in touch" although I will miss the newsprint ink on my fingers. I guess carpal tunnel is a substitute, but it doesn't wash away.
Diane in Redmond

Anonymous said...

I read your last article with tears in my eyes. You can imagine my elation when you mentioned your blog site. What a great way to keep in touch for those of us who need to keep our weekly "Darla" dialogue going! Thanks for posting the pics.

Teri in Redmond

Anonymous said...

I can see the pictures just fine now!!! The kids are SO big. I didn't think they would be so grown up. This is a great idea Darla. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I hope you are having a great week! Jodine Burke