Friday, March 2, 2007

It's an epidemic


Do they just not make kids' jeans like they used to, or are my offspring just especially adept at destroying them?
Pictured are several pairs of new pants. By "new," I mean they were worn approximately five times. The hole process always starts with a small rip, which, by the very next wearing, turns into the gaping mess of fabric you see here.
I'm officially having trouble keeping up with the ripping schedule my kids are on. They're ruining them faster than I can buy replacements.
We've tried patches, but I don't care for the Lil' Abner look myself. I've also tried scolding, yelling and pleading for the kids to keep their knees away from concrete or hard ground. As a last resort, I've even sent them to school in these pants.
Hey, their teachers are also moms; I'm sure they can sympathize.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried putting the patches (iron on) on the INSIDE of the areas that get worn, when the garments are new. I'm not sure how that would work, but it would be worth a try.

5 times is certainly not much wear to get out of a pair of jeans!!!!!!
Maybe its the quality of the denim in kids pants. Or your kids have pointy knees. I've had good luck with the wear on Lands End jeans.

Darla said...

Hi Marie,
I wholeheartedly agree that five times is not enough to create such disastrous holes!!!! Thanks for the tip about putting the patches on the inside of the jeans; that could work. As for quality, I've tried many brands from many stores, and I always get the same results. So I think you have pegged the problem: pointy knees. :)
Thanks for the comment!