Monday, March 26, 2007

The new lingo

Last Saturday, I picked up Jake after he'd been at his friend Dylan's birthday party.
"Did he like the presents we got him?" I asked.
"Treppelduuun," Jake replied. Or at least that's what it sounded like to me.
"Um, what?" I asked.
""Treppelduuun."
"Jake, what are you saying?!"
"Triple Duh!" he exclaimed.
I'd never heard of this phrase before. Sure, "duh" has been around since the ancient '80s, but "tripple duh"? That's so hip and new!
Another new one (or at least new to me): Do you know the correct term for ringing someone's doorbell and running away? Ding dong dash. Very clever.
And finally, if you're ever in the presence of a first-grader and she or he says, "Lemonade, crunchy ice," be warned. It's a competition.
Emily taught it to me the other day. The rhyme contains hand movements and goes like this: "Lemonade (clap clap clap), crunchy ice (clap clap clap). Sip it once (clap clap clap), sip it twice (clap clap clap). Turn around (clap clap clap), touch the ground (clap clap clap). FREEZE."
I was thrown by the "freeze" until she whispered, "staring competition" and gazed at me with fierce intent.
I laughed and blinked, so I lost. But will I be more prepared next time? Triple duh.

No comments: