Monday, February 12, 2007

I have a crush on an older man


Saturday afternoon I'm flipping channels, and I end up stopping on the ever-so-classic "Who Shot J.R.?" episode of Dallas. In one scene, Sue Ellen asks her scoundrel husband which slut he's going to be seeing that night. He says something to the effect of, "Any of them would be more interesting than the slut I'm looking at now."
What a scoundrel, I thought, shaking my head. But who can resist him?!
That night, I had to cover a star-studded benefit in Dallas, which included performances by Willie Nelson and Jessica Simpson. Both were great. And whaddaya know, one of the night's special guests was J.R. Ewing himself, who stole the show with his humor and spark.
I later weaseled my way up to his table to ask a few questions about the upcoming Dallas movie, which will star John Travolta. He was as gracious and friendly as everybody had told me he'd be. As I walked away, I told him I'd seen "Who Shot J.R." that day, so this was quite the surreal moment for me. He laughed and said to be sure to give him a good write-up. "I will!" I said. To that, he turned to the person at the next table and joked, "That's what they all say!"
A few minutes went by, and during a lull in the performances, people kept going over to pose for a picture with Larry. (I feel that we're on a first-name basis now. OK, not really.) I happened to mention to the professional photographer standing next to me that I wish I'd gotten a picture with him.
"Let's go ask him now!" he said, offering to email it to me.
So we walk back to his table, I ask for a photo, and he says, "Come on, sit on my lap!" I did as instructed, of course, laughing with delight.
I'm here to report that the guy who played TV's greatest villain is everything you'd hope him to be: charming, funny, smart, and not the least bit evil.
Where's that photo, you ask? Well, the guy hasn't emailed it to me yet. I'll post it as soon as he does! Unless I look too hideous, of course!

No comments: