Friday, February 2, 2007

Our "glass-half empty" veterinarian

Let's say you go to the doctor with an ache or a pain, and the doctor thinks it may be one of two things: fatal disease, or common cold. Would you prefer that they treat the common cold first, or jump right to prepping you for your last goodbyes?
Our vet obviously thinks it's best to prepare people for the worst. I took our 10-year-old cat Spot in for a visit this week, as he has had a few disgusting "accidents" around the house. This will not do. She asked me his history, and I mentioned that he had a sister who died years ago from a tumor.
After she did her exam on Spot, she said she felt a mass in his stomach that could be a simple infection. or it could be lymphoma. She then explained every detail about cat cancer, the pros and cons of chemotherapy, the chance of remission, how long remission would last (maybe a few months, so that's not good), etc. She then brought me pages of photocopied info on the disease and what we could expect.
Next up was a blood test, which would give us more details. Fifteen minutes later, as I sat fighting back tears, she came back into the room. Good news: The blood work did not reveal anything that looks like cancer. Bad news: It might just be too early to show up. Iffy news: She'd give us medicine that would treat a possible infection; if he continues to be sick by next week, he probably has cancer.
So I've decided this: I'm going to assume he has an infection. I've also decided that I wish the doctor would have assumed this as well. I mean, she could have said something along the lines of, "This is probably an infection, but there's a chance it could also be cancer." Instead, she chose the opposite approach.
If, God forbid, the news is bad next week, then we'll deal with it next week. But I choose to hold out hope.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darla, My husband and I are going thru a similar situation. Our schnauzer, Emmy Lou has been diagnosed with Cushings Disease, cancer in other words. Our Vet too gave us all the bad news, plus toxic meds for her that we would have to give her with gloves on. We read all the possible side effects and started to feel sick ourselves. Right now she is feeling fine as far as we can tell. She is racing around, happy. If we don't give her the medicine and constant testing to get the right dose she may only live another 6 months. If they get the right dosing she could live 30 months tops but the quality of life would be questionable. We are leaning towards letting nature take it's course and if she goes downhill we will not let her suffer! This is so difficult. I feel for you guys, hope yours is just a simple infection.

Sincerely,

Erin

Darla said...

Hi Erin,
I'm so sorry to hear about Emmy Lou. I know what you mean about not being sure what to do -- right now, Spot acts happier than he has in months. He's demanding food when the bowl is empty, he's playing, he's purring all the time. So I'm hopeful these are all signs that he just has an infection, but who knows.
If not, I agree with you: We might decide to just let nature take its course. It seems like the more humane thing to do in some ways.
Anyway, I hope Emmy Lou continues to race around for as long as possible!! And thanks for writing. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a registered nurse and have worked with pediatricians who use this same approach, only with people's kids!!! I worked with one before I had my own kids and decided that even though this man was extremely competent medically, probably one of the best around, that I would not be able to chose him for our pediatrican when I had kids since I would get too freaked out.

I sometimes think they are trying to show you how much they know, or maybe just are thinking out loud too much. In any case, I don't know many people where this approach is actually helpful. I guess if you are a really bad parent who doesn't worry about your kids at all, then maybe the docs need to scare you into taking good care of them. For most of us though, I say, find a different vet or pediatrician rather than deal with someone like this!

Jeanie
Mother of four

Darla said...

Hi Jeanie,
That's so interesting that some pediatricians also use this scare-tactic approach! I wouldn't be able to go to that person. My son Jake once had a second bout of chicken pox, which is considered very rare and possibly a sign that something was wrong with his immune system. I took him to our doctor, who could have filled my head with all sorts of fears, but instead put it into perspective: Jake's never been a sickly kid (which would be the case if he had immune-system issues), so it's just a fluke. I appreciate our doc so much for refusing to freak me out.
Our vet is a very smart and kind woman, but I still can't understand why she approached Spot's situation the way she did. He's still doing great (knock on wood) a week later, so it looks like he didn't have cancer after all! Crisis that we never had averted! :)